Friday, August 17, 2018

Bachelor's Grilled Cheese Sandwiches?

I am a bachelor and  I like grilled cheese sandwiches. It is why I call this my bachelor grilled cheese sandwich. It is easy and is easy enough for a bachelor to make. 

The process involves cheese, bread, a toaster and a microwave. What you add or don't add is up to the person who makes it. The basic ingredients are determined by ones taste and the brand of equipment doesn't really matter if it works to do what one wants it to do. 

I take two slices of bread. It would be more if one is making more than one sandwich. I indicate two since a bachelor might just eat one, perhaps as a snack or a quick meal. It can be any kind of sliced bread; whole wheat, white, rye, etc.. What kind is up to the person who is eating it. I indicated sliced so it would fit into a toaster. Some toasters have wider slots than others. If one wants to use non-sliced bread, one should slice it so it fits into the toaster slot. 

What kind or brand of toaster does not matter. As long as it toasts the bread, it is good. I once toasted bread with mayonnaise on it. It was good but a little on the smelly side. I try not to make it too dark or crunchy. Toast it too long and it is croutons (it is how my brother makes croutons - toasted bead chopped up into little squares - he likes it in his salad). 

One adds the cheese to the bread. It is between the two slices. Putting it on the outside of the two slices might work but I have not tried it. It seems silly. What kind of cheese is up to the person who is eating it and their preference of cheeses. There are so many out there; American, cheddar, pepper jack, provolone, Swiss, blended cheeses like Velveeta, etc.. There are even non-diary cheese and veggie cheeses.  I think some would work better than others. I have only tried a handful of different ones. 

There are times I add other things. One time I added a slice of tomato (or two). Other times I have added slice bologna (so many varieties; beef, chicken, pork, chicken, etc.) or other kinds of meat (like sliced Spam - they have different kinds; at stores and at their web site). There are times I have added baby spinach to it. It makes it a little healthier (at least it sounds healthier). There are times I have added shredded lettuce (already shredded in a bag or one can shred it yourself). As long as what you add does not make it too thick; otherwise, it won't fit into the toaster slot (unless one uses a toaster oven); IMO. It is neat being creative in the add on's. It is limited by ones imagination and what fits into the toaster slot. 

Once combined to what one wants, one puts it into the microwave. How long it is microwaved depends on how big the sandwich is. I don't usually microwave it for long. I microwave it just long enough to melt the cheese, which varies since different cheese have different melting times. I would microwave it for about 20 to 30 seconds and observe it while it is being microwaved. With me, times to microwave depends on how big the sandwich and what kind of cheese one uses. 

I think a grilled cheese sandwich (even if it isn't technically grilled but more toasted then microwaved) is good when dipping into soup. It is common to eat it with tomato soup. I think it tastes great dipped into other kinds of soup. I dipped it into chicken noodle soup, cream of chicken soup, cream of mushroom soup, etc. This is just my preference. There are times I eat it just by itself. 

As a bachelor, I tend to take the easy route to making meals. Some make all their food by 'scratch' (using recipes and getting all the ingredients). I like to use other things that are 'prepackaged'; therefore, eliminating some steps in the 'from scratch' method (topic for future blogs - or a past one? hard to keep track of them).


There is even a book on grilled cheese sandwiches. I am reading it. It is fascinating. It is called Great Grilled Cheese; 50 Innovative Recipes For Stovetop, Grill And Sandwich Maker. It was published by Abram Books. I bought it at Kittery Trading Post. Once I have finished reading it, I will give some a try (they sound really good) but that is a subject for another blog). 
They might have it as an e-book too (best to check their site - I believe they do sell e-books). 






a site on me (still needs a lot of work).

No comments:

Post a Comment