Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Powdered soup mix as flavoring for ramen noodles?

I like ramen noodles. It says it is a soup but I just cook the ramen noodles and drain the water. What I don't really care for is the seasoning packets that come with it. I think it is way too salty. I think of ramen noodles as a bachelors or bachelorettes friend. I think one can make it in a dorm or at the office. 

There are times I cook it then only add butter or margarine and some soy sauce (being careful to not too much since it can overwhelm the flavor - at times I did and it really overwhelmed the flavor [another blog]). 

 I think ramen noodles are easy to make. I like making it in the microwave oven. The time to cook it varies; I tried different amounts of time and water. It also depends how powerful ones microwave is. The more powerful it is, the quicker it cooks. Lately with the 1200 watt microwave that I use, I cook it for 3:33 minutes, stir it and then an additional 3:33 minutes. Results will vary for everyone (saying this in case someone cooks it like me and gets a totally different result). 

I have tried Lipton's Cup of Soup  cream of chicken soup. It worked really well (according to my taste buds) with the ramen noodles (I sometimes add a little butter or margarine - being careful not too add too much since it too can overwhelm the taste - at times it really did). I tried to not drain too much of the water after cooking the ramen noodles (it helps the soup mix to blend with the pasta). There are times I also ad a can of chicken.  I liked the results but others might go 'yuck' at just the thought of it. 

In the past I had used the Lipton Cup of Soup tomato soup but I can no longer find it; at stores or even online (at least the Lipton site does not have it). It was really good. I sometimes added a can of diced tomatoes. It was good both ways. 

I have tried it with some of their other soup mixes. The results varied. Sometimes It was good and sometimes it was a bit on the strong side. I tried it with their Recipe Secrets; some were better than others. 

While looking for a place to buy the tomato soup version of the mix, I found a company that has a variety of dried soup mixes. It is called  Batchelor's Cup of Soup. It seems it is a British company (from what I read about it - Premier Foods?).  They have a tomato soupBritish Food Depot has it (an USA company?). It seems Amazon has a big variety of them. When I get some of them - either online or at a store (I thought a British or Irish store would have it but not one near me but other locations might), I will blog about it. I like to try new things. 

I remember Campbell's had a ramen noodles at one time. I had tried them but it has been a long time since I have seen them at any grocery stores. It has been awhile but I do remember thinking that they were pretty good. Perhaps they either stopped making them or just a regional item. I have lived and visited a few places. The area I am in now has a grocery store in different locations and some of the locations would have some items not available in their other locations. There are also grocery stores only in a particular region. Perhaps a topic for a future blog? 

I am using Homestead to create my personal site. It is a neat way to create ones own personal web site (or a business or non-profit site or whatever you want it to be site). I am still learning about it (just a beginner with a lot to learn and my web site shows it). 
I will create more art for my 'store' and improve the photos for my art (higher density so that it can go on more items to sell). Why have art that just hangs on the wall when one can use it or wear it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment