Monday, July 16, 2018

I have strange tastes, in food and other things too.

When I was younger, I would not eat much. I was a 'meat and potato' kid. I was not a daring eater. At one time I did not try one dish because I thought it was onions. It turned out to be cabbage or lettuce (it has been a long while since it happened but I do remember not know what it really was). 

As I got older, I realized I did not know why I disliked something. I realized I should not dislike something until I tried it. I wanted to have a reason for liking or not liking something. I found there were things that I thought I would not like but ended up liking. They weren't strange or odd things.

This led me to try things that were unique or 'strange' to other people. I stated thinking 'what if' with food. It was 'what if I tried this with that, how would it taste?'. I started trying things that others were saying were odd or gross and that they would not eat that. Them not liking something did not stop me from trying / eating it.

I was at an Asian restaurant; a Chinese one with with little bowls and little plates that came around on carts. One paid per bowl or plate. One of these dishes was jelly fish. It did not look like jelly fish. It looked like shredded cabbage. I tried it and liked it. I wonder how many would have tried it? 

There are other times it is just odd combinations. Back when I did not really care for spinach, I tried different ways to 'cover up' the taste. One such way was putting French dressing on it. Another way was to put ketchup on it. The French dressing tasted better. I have since grown to like spinach but I still like adding things to it to see how it tastes. I have added spinach to my pancake mix (that is a different blog) to see how it tastes (green pancakes that I like). 

Another strange thing I eat is in my different sandwiches. While some would not mind a peanut butter sandwich or a bologna sandwich, I put it together as one sandwich. I put peanut butter on one slice of bread. I put bologna, cheese and mayonnaise on the other slide of bread. There are times I put a slice of tomato or some lettuce (or both) on the bologna side. There are times I put pickles on the peanut butter bread. I put the two slices of bread together and eat it that way. I really enjoy it. 

One sandwich that I like that I don't really consider really odd or strange is peanut butter and pickle sandwich. I really enjoy it. I tried it with Tabasco flavored pickles and it was good. I have tried it with a variety of peanut butter (and even some peanut butter that had no peanuts in it - like sunflower butter, almond butter and cashew butter and others) and different flavored pickles. 

These are just some of the foods that I have eaten with others saying they are weird or that I am weird for liking them. This hasn't stopped me from trying 'unique' foods. If anything, it has given me an incentive to try new things. 








(needs work but still good, simple so it can be viewed on phones and tablets).





(the quality of the photos of my art needs to be improved but it is still good for what they are on).








No comments:

Post a Comment