Tuesday, August 8, 2017

Experimenting with Pancake Mixes; Part One

I like to use the Bisquick Complete to make pancakes. I also use - on occasion - other brand like Maple Grove Farms of Vermont complete. This is not about the pancake mixes themselves, there is another blog for that. This is blog about things I like to mix in with the pancake batter to see what they would taste like when cooked.

I was told to make my pancakes healthier, to add both flax seed meal and bran meal. I find it does not really affect the taste of the pancake, no matter what brand I use. I like pancakes and making them. Making it healthier gives me a reason to make them since I want to eat healthier (if only to please my doctor).

I like spinach. I like to buy the small cans of spinach. It is just enough for one person. I like to add it to the pancake mix. One would think it would taste weird but it doesn't. It was pretty good. It would be great for St Patrick day since it gives the pancakes a greenish tint to it.

There are times I use a bag of baby spinach. I crumble it up / tear it up in small pieces and mix it in the batter. The texture is a little different but still pretty good. The downside of using fresh baby spinach is that one has to use it right away otherwise it would go bad in a short time.

I also like getting small can of peas and carrots. They have cans of mixed vegetables but I don't care for green beans. I drain the can of peas and carrots before adding it to the pancake mix. It might be a little lumpy but still good. I like the texture it gives the pancakes.

I like mushrooms. I like all kinds of mushrooms. I prefer the ones that comes in cans. I like the small cans since I can use it up and have them dry out. It gives the pancakes a lumpy look to it but it is really good. At first I had poured the pancake mix and laid the mushrooms on top as it cooked. Now I just add it to the mix before making the pancakes. It is a little easier that way. I don't have to worry about the pancake cooking too soon before adding it to the batter.

I also like banana's. I also like peanut butter. I have (or had since I used them up) PBFit - chocolate and peanut butter, and peanut butter (both in powder form which made it easier to mix in with the pancake mix but I will try the low fat peanut butter or whipped peanut butter in the future). I have tried it with both the chocolate and peanut butter powder, and with peanut butter powder. I tried both powders with a banana mixed in. It wasn't difficult to mix in, especially when the banana is on the ripe side. It tastes great great of the four ways I tried it; banana with chocolate peanut butter powder, banana with peanut butter banana, just chocolate peanut butter powder, and just peanut butter powder.

I tried mixing in the PBFit peanut butter powder with the pancake mix. As above, it was tried before but this time I would make the pancake mix and cook it up but add marshmallow fluff instead of pancake syrup. It was a pancake version of the fluffer rnutter I tried when I was younger and still eat with peanut butter / marshmallow on bread but this was the breakfast version.

There is  blueberry bush along side my driveway. I would pick some and put them into the pancake mix. It gave the pancake blue dots. It tasted great. The blue berries were fresh since I just picked them. I also bought blue berry syrup to go with it. It was tasty and good for me. I was told that blue berries is considered a 'super food'.

This is part one. I will be trying different things / foods to mix in with my pancake mix. Since I am in a 'seafood area', I might try different sea foods next. I might add diced tomatoes. Any future mixtures will be in part 2 of pancake experiments.



a site about things that I am and about what I like.
(it is a work in progress)



a store where I took photos of my art and
Cafe Press adds it to different items of my choosing.
I make very little from it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment