Sunday, February 21, 2021

Jumbo Shrimp and Fried Clams at Woodman's in Essex MA

 My brother and I was going to go to different restaurant in Essex MA but it was closed by the time we arrived. We saw this on the way to the other restaurant and wanted to give it a try. It is Woodman's in Essex MA. 



It seems Woodman's has been around for quite awhile. The receipt indicated 100 years. 

Woodman's was still open. We were able to go in an order what we wanted and were able to find a seat. We wore face masks when we entered, ordered and sat down. We took off the face masks to eat but wore them when we departed. They cleaned the tables before we sat down and after we left. It wasn't crowded. Since it was late and there was a lot of room - both downstairs and upstairs, they can accommodate quite a few people safely. They also have outdoor seating that will be great when it gets warmer out.  

When one entered, there is a counter where one ordered the food. One gets a receipt for ones purchase. One waits till they call your number when the food is ready. They call your number when it is ready. Near where one picks up the food is the area where one gets accessories; ketchup, napkins, forks, salt, pepper, etc. Near where one orders the food is a refrigerator where one gets the beverage that one ordered. After getting the food, one can sit anywhere permitted. 

This is what my brother ordered. He ordered the fried clams. It was called Chubby's original fried clams. He really enjoyed it. It is not minced but whole clams.

I was able to try a fried clam. It was an 'exchange program'. I got one of his fried clams and he got one of my jumbo shrimp.

He also got the New England clam chowder. He said it had a lot of clams in it. It seems he got more than I did.


This is what I ordered. I ordered the jumbo shrimp. It comes with both onion rings and French fries. I also ordered sweet potato fries and a cup of New England clam chowder.

The jumbo shrimp was big and there wasn't too much breading on it. It was good. I tried it with and without the tartar sauce. I enjoyed it.

The onion rings was cooked well. Like the shrimp, it wasn't too heavy on the breading. It was good. I tried it with ketchup and ketchup with tartar sauce. It was good both ways.

I enjoyed the sweet potato fries. It was really good. It - like the French fries - wasn't too salty but was really good. I ate them with ketchup and with ketchup and tartar sauce. It was good both ways.

I had a side of New England clam chowder. It came with oyster crackers. It was really good. I liked the amount of clams it had. I am glad it wasn't too thick. It was delicious.

Woodman's Menu. 









No comments:

Post a Comment