Monday, January 18, 2021

A Modified Blueberry Sour Cream Scone Mix

 I bought a box of blueberry sour cream scone mix by King Arthur Flour. It was on sale. One can see the price on the front of the package. 

I like to go to the discount section of grocery stores (if they have one). The items there are still good but reduced in price to either get them sold or because there is slight damage to the package. 

I had this box of scones mx. Normally I just go by the directions. I had bought the scone mix in the past (sometimes I added a little extra milk to keep it from being too dry). This time I decided to add some stuff to the mix; an extra egg (directions require only one), a little extra milk (more than what the directions call for), extra blueberries (I had some frozen ones that I picked last summer). The result wasn't 'scone like' but I liked it. I think the water (attached to the frozen blueberries in the form of ice) might have kept it from rising; they were kind off flat. I will rinse off the ice and dry it off the blueberries the next time I try it. 

Here is the mix box. One can see the discounted price. It is one of different scone mixes that I have tried. 

Here are the scones in the oven. It made a lot more than expected. I had sprayed the pan with cooking spray so it would not stick to it. 

Here is the scones after I took them out of the oven. I turned off the oven but kept them in the oven a few minutes afterward since it was bubbling; probably the water from the frozen blueberries that I had added. I had sprayed the pan and it was easy to remove them from it.

I had made scones in the past and they were more 'scone like'. I want to get them round like they like to show on scone mix bags and boxes. I think they probably used some 'form' that gives them that shape. Might be easier if I used the recommended amount of liquid. Perhaps next time. 










No comments:

Post a Comment