Tuesday, November 13, 2018

The Art Of Scottish American Cooking by Kay Shaw Nelson

I bought this book since I was checking out Scottish recipes. I think (I am not totally sure) I bought it at a museum store. It looked really interesting (not sure which museum store it was).

Even though I don't remember where I bought my copy of it, I have found a few places online that has it for sale. Amazon has it for sale. Good Reads has it listed plus places where one can buy it (assuming online). Google Books has it listed.

I have not read it all but I am working on it. I am reading two or three pages a day. It is not huge but it will take a short time to read all the recipes. I find each one to be very interesting. I will probably blog about this cookbook once I have completed reading it all. There aren't any photos of the foods in it but I don't think it is really necessary. The paper seems to be an inexpensive paper. I think the value is more in the recipes that is in the book instead of what they are written on. 

I don't think it is limited to just those of Scottish American descendants. I think anyone interested in reading about not only Scottish American recipes but also the history behind them. 
The book I bought has a hard cover on it with a dust cover over that. It looks exactly like the one above. One advantage over an e-book is that one can still read it even without power (e-book readers need power to read them) and one can easily search recipes on a printed book than an e-book reader (at least when compared to my Kindle e-book reader [had it for a few years and still works but I have not had a chance to see if I could do a search on it or find a way to find an index that takes me to a certain page - perhaps the newer ones do]). 

The book is published by Pelican Publishing. Here is a link to their site for this book; The Art Of Scottish American Cooking by Kay Shaw Nelson.  

Pelican Publishing Company seems to have a nice variety of books at their site. They seem to have a nice variety in the 'cooking' section

The thing that I like it is that (almost - haven't read it through yet) has a bit of history for each recipe. I think it is not just a recipe book but a book on the history of the recipes and the people who created or used them. It is not just the history of the recipes but also about the people who either created them or used them or brought the recipe to the USA. Even if one doesn't really cook, it is still a good read. 

I have not tried any of the recipes., yet. Once I do, I will post a blog for the attempt (don't always succeed at it) here on this blog. It would be one blog post for each recipe tried. There are quite a few (of the ones I have read) that I definitely want to try.









The above shows art supplies and also a sewing machine. I am trying to get into sewing too. The sewing part is another blog; Big Quilter Guy. I have eight blogs but none as active as this one (I am working on them being more active). 

TomLeeM

Big Goofy Guy

No comments:

Post a Comment